Test to transform movements of a branch from a distant tree into sounds on a cymbal. Vibration sensors are attached to the tree and connected to a raspberry pi (solar powered). The data is sent over mobile internet to the studio where a Pd-patch analyses the data stream and send it to an arduino which controls a servo motor.
To operate the SASS via XLR cables with 48V phantom power on our Sound Devices 702 we found a manual on the website of Tom Benedict.
Although our implementation of the construction is somewhat unclean due to lack of time and material we are very satisfied with the result. The SASS provides a good stereo image, the mics are very sensive and low noise.
Here are some images of the building process and 2 recordings using the SASS and a SD702 recorder. More investigations will follow.
3d printed plate for each pair of the EM172 capsules:
XLR connectors each with a capacitor and resistor like in Tom Benedict’s post:
view from the back:
the plate glued to closed cell foam:
closed cell foam and open cell foam connected and hold together by a metal plate:
purple colored dead cat – the only thing we could get:
This is the heart of the Agents: a RaspberryPi, a Cirrus Logic Audio Card and a POE Splitter in a waterproofed box. The RPi is running a PureData patch for analysing the signal from the microphone. For the analysis we are using the [melSpec~] object from the timbreID library from William Brent.
The Agents are configured in a way that we can remote control them as soon as they are connected to the internet at the remote places.
We are working on a new project called A.O.S.C. – agents of synchronicity. More about the project soon. But for the start here is the description of the building process of a microphone for that project.
We need a simple mono microphone for long time outdoor usage at a fixed place. We decided to use the Primo EM172-Z1 electret capsule because it is not too expensive and the sound quality is quit good. We bought it directly from Primo in Germany.
Using some heat shrink tube,
a piece of a pipe for electrical installations from a hardware store and some Sugru to fix the capsule inside:
A 3d printed ring and rubber hair bands as shock mount. For wind protection we have attached a piece of foam and a Rode fur for Lavalier mics onto the capsule
The house for the mic is a filter of a pump for a garden pond from the hardware store which is then covered by nylon socks..
Trying out some OpenGL and physics in Max. It is based on the NurbsSheet patch from the Physics-Patch-a-Day thread in the cycling74 forum.
In this test the movement of the 3d object is generated randomly. It will later be connected to the hands and feet of a dancer tracked by a kinect.
The sound is generated by using an induction coil which is moved over different parts of the laptop and then live processed using Max/MSP. The result is sent to a second laptop to influence the visuals.
The TiG – Rhythmusmaschine is an interactive installation for the theater performance ‘Der Grosse Kreis’, a performance related on ‘The Rite Of Spring’ by Igor Stravinsky.
(More informations about the project on the TiG website)
The TiG – Rhythmusmaschine is a 4 track sequencer with an user interface projected on the stage floor. The sounds can be changed via live sampling by the performers using a sensor box and a set of percussion instruments. The performers are creating rhythms by placing white styrofoam balls in the projected field or dancing in the projection.
This video shows first tests with the installation:
And this is how the whole performance looked at the end:
The whole project is realized in Max:
A sensor box on stage with 4 ir sensors and an arduino board is connected to Max via xBee radio modules. It is controlling the live sampling and some stage lights as signs for the percussionist.
Max is also used to play the triggered sounds, for the camera tracking and the projection on the floor. The light design for the whole performance is also controlled using Max.